Friday, January 17, 2014

Journey to a New Me

"Today is the first day of the rest of your life." Is that how the saying goes? Corny? Yes. Overused? Absolutely. Applicable? Definitely.

Recently, I stopped nursing Harper. After nearly seven years of either being pregnant or nursing, my body is just mine again (Well, mine and my husband's. But this isn't that kind of blog...). And I have to say, I am ready! I am ready to get my body back into shape. Ready to shave off the extra weight. Ready to feel good when I look at myself in the mirror. Ready to enjoy trying on new clothes. I am ready to take my body back!

Nothing about losing weight and getting fit is easy. It takes hard work, determination, will, focus, self discipline. But it all starts with one simple word...decide. I have to decide whether or not this is what I want. Once I have made that decision, the rest falls into place. And I have finally made that decision. I am going to take care of myself now. I'm not doing this for my husband (though he does benefit from it). I'm not even doing this because I feel self-conscious and worry about what people think of me (true as that may be). But I am doing this for me. Just me. Courtney. Because I deserve this. I deserve to feel better. I deserve to feel proud of how I look. I deserve to be a trophy wife.

Over the last several years, Brandon and I have worked diligently to become debt free. We have been extremely disciplined with our budget because we desperately wanted change. Not just change for us and our future. But change that would effect our children's futures as well. And that is exactly how I feel about making these changes towards a healthier lifestyle. I am not just doing this for my own benefit. But am doing this to set a good example for my children. To show them the importance of living a healthy, active life. To teach them how to take care of the bodies God gave us.

Though I am only 11 days into this journey to a new me (I know, I know, I've barely just begun), I have already crossed a huge (no pun intended) milestone. I am finally out of the 150s! Those numbers are not something I have been proud of. In fact, I have been disappointed in myself every time I've stood on the scale for the past 15 months. Until now! Those numbers will no longer haunt me. This is a breakthrough moment for me. Because, I will NEVER see those numbers on the scale again. And I couldn't be happier!

Each day I am another step closer to achieving my goal. A healthier, happier me. I will take this journey one step, one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment